German Cockroach Services in Florida
#1. Size & Overall Appearance
The German cockroach ranges in size from about 1/8th of an inch in length when it hatches, to a little over ½ of an inch as an adult. All of the adult German roaches have wings, but they cannot fly.
#2. Color & Distinctive Features
Adult German cockroaches can be easily recognized by their light brown or tan coloration with two black horizontal stripes on the pronotum. The youngsters are darker, some may be entirely black.
#3. Behavior, Diet, Habits
German roaches lay about 40 eggs at a time, which mature roughly 2 months. Their populations grow rapidly (even faster than the American cockroaches) and are hard to get rid of, often requiring professional cockroach pest control services. They typically appear in bathrooms and kitchens, and they spend about 80% of their time in the wall cracks and voids. When it comes to food, young roaches often feed on the fecal droppings of the adult cockroaches while the adults are out looking for food.
Signs of Infestation
- Droppings – German cockroach droppings are sometimes described to look like black pepper grains
- Egg Capsules – Empty egg cases may be found in dark corners that the females frequent as they carry the eggs until 1 or 2 days before depositing them.
- Odor – Just like the other cockroach species, the German roaches are also known to secrete a number of odor compounds.
Due to the aggressive nature of German cockroaches, it is a good practice to leave their extermination to a pest control professional. Here’s what you can do:
- Improve cleanliness and take out your trash regularly.
- Eliminate points of entry around your property.
- Don’t leave food in or around your house.
- Place roach traps.
Total Pest Services is your personal roach doctor that is willing to take care of all your cockroach infestation issues. Get in touch with us now!