#1. Size & Overall Appearance
An adult male measures about half an inch long and has fully developed wings. The female brown-banded cockroaches are even shorter and stouter, with smaller wings.
#2. Color & Distinctive Features
This cockroach species got the “brown-banded” name from the two distinctive brownish bands running around their wings and abdomen. The rest of their body is light brown.
#3. Behavior, Diet, Habits
These cockroaches live indoors, feeding on food and household items, as well as spreading disease-causing bacteria. Just like all the other roaches, the brown-banded cockroaches are also scavengers that will eat almost anything organic. This particular species has been reported to spread at least 33 known kinds of bacteria. The brown-banded roach prefers to inhabit dry locations and can often be found inside cabinets, pantries, and closets.
Signs of Infestation
- Primarily Nocturnal – Brown-banded cockroaches are primarily active at night, but they can also be spotted during the daytime, looking for food or scurrying away from the light when a cabinet or drawer is opened.
- Droppings – Often found in areas where insects frequent, the brown-banded roaches’ droppings are dark brown or black specks or smears. Those “fecal areas” are used by the roaches to communicate a safe gathering point for the other cockroaches in the area.
- Egg Capsules – The female brown-banded cockroaches carry the fully developed oothecae until the last 24 to 36 hours, in their abdomens, and attach them to coarse surfaces. The eggs are usually hard to spot, but a professional pest control company knows where to look for them.
Before contacting a professional pest control company, you can consider the following DIY measures that decrease your chances of infestation.
- Keep your floors and carpets free of debris.
- Always keep your garbage in sealed containers.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes overnight, and try keeping a spotless kitchen.
- Seal any cracks and crevices to keep unwanted pests away.
- While waiting for a cockroach pest control service, place roach baits of your own.
We are Total Pest Services, and we customize every treatment service to the unique needs of your home and always take into account how big the infestation is. Call us today for more details and appointments!